Learn Photoshop Series | How to remove image background | Tutorial
In this digital age it is so important to work not only on paper. You need to know programs like photoshop to be able to work on your art with computer. At first it sounds scary, I know! But in these Learn Photoshop Series I will show you how easy it is to transfer your art to computer and polish it! I'm not a pro, but on my way of experimentation I found a way to take care of my art and I want to share this knowledge with ya! Really you just have to know a few simple steps. That's not hard at all. In about 10 minutes or less you can create a beautiful shareable digital version of your art work!
Removing the background
After scanning the illustration all you have is not the best looking piece of art with a lot of distractions. But that is easily fixable and there is no need to stress about it!
- Upload your scanned image to photoshop. Move the mouse on your layer and double click on the lock to unlock the layer.
- First you need to crop around your image. Get rid of all unnecessary space. You should leave only what's important without any background noise.
select Crop Tool -> manage your selection -> hit enter
- From the Adjustment Tools go to Levels and click on the third Eye Dropper. You will see three of them on the left side.
By clicking this you will be able to adjust whites of your image. Make a few adjustments and make sure that you are not overusing this tool! Zoom in if necessary.
- Select Magic Eraser Tool and click on your background. This tool will remove it in a snap!
Make sure you have picked the layer with your image, not with level adjustments.
Now you have your image with transparent background! You can Resize it and Save or make a new layer with different color.
I decided to change color of the background and make it pink! I merged down Image and Level layers and created painted color layer underneath.
Completely deleting the background
- To completely remove your background even from the smallest parts of your drawing you don't have to manually click Magic Eraser tool all around your image!
go to Select -> Color Range -> click on Select -> chose Highlights -> click ok and then delete button on your keyboard
Play around with your image and make different variations of it. I often spent the most time on trying different colors and not actually editing stuff! Don't make this mistake. :D
I'm sure there are more ways to delete the background of the image. I find this method very easy and fast so that's why I wanted to share it with ya.